Nepal is naturally blessed country with rich wildlife bird diversity. Over 210 different species of mammals and 874 various species of birds have been recorded in Nepal. This carefully crafted itinerary focuses mainly on three national parks (Chitwan, Bardia and Shukla Phanta), one wildlife reserve (Koshi Tappu), and the Sarus Crane Sanctuary (Lumbini). All these habitats are considered as Nepal’s best habitats for endangered species of mammals and rare species of birds.
This nicely designed itinerary allows ample time in each area to explore rarely seen mammals, reptiles, birds and amphibians. This tour is led and guided by one of Nepal’s top-rated local naturalists and guides, who are known for his enthusiasm, friendliness, and exceptional knowledge.
Nepal Mammal and Birdwatching Tour
- Explore big 5 mammals (Tigers, Rhinos, Asian Elephants, Gaur Bisons and Wild Water Buffalos) of Nepal.
- Search globally threatened and endangered species of birds.
- Jeep safari in Chitwan, Bardia and Shukla Phanta national parks.
Dates & Prices
Dates: Although this trip is currently unscheduled, contact us about organizing this destination for you or your group. The best months are between October to May.
Prices: Contact us with your group size and needs and we’ll work out the best possible price for you.
The cost includes:
- All ground transfers including airport pickup and drops.
- All hotels and resorts on full board basis as per itinerary.
- Necessary park entry fees.
- All jungle safaris and jungle activities as per itinerary.
- Kathmandu-Biratnagar and Dhangari-Kathmandu flight fares.
- Government taxes.
The cost does not include:
- Nepal visa.
- International flights fares.
- Pure personal nature expenses, e. g. bar bills, laundry etc.
- Guide and driver tips.
- Any other costs not specified in the cost includes section.
- Day 01: Arrive in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
Karnali representative will meet at the airport and arrange immediate transfer to hotel. A detailed briefing on immediate and further arrangements will be delivered at the hotel.
- Day 02: Fly to Biratnagar and drive to Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve.
We will fly to Biratnagar by the earliest flight and drive to Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve. Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is famous for wild water buffalos, waterfowls and grassland birds. Indian Coursers, Nepal rufous-vented Prinia, Swamp Francolin, Grey Francolin, Great Thick-knee, Bengal Florican, Great Myna and Ashy Minivets are seen in Koshi. Rare fishing cats and fresh water Gangetic dolphins are also seen here in Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve. We will spend overnight in luxury safari tents.
- Days 03-04: Explore birds of Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve.
We will visit various habitats and places to explore birds and other wildlife of Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve.
- Day 05: Drive to Chitwan National Park.
After exploring birds and mammals of Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve, we will drive to Chitwan National Park. It is the first national park of Nepal and perhaps one of the best managed national parks in Southeast Asia. It is home for last remaining population of Royal Bengal Tigers, wild Asian Elephants, Greater One-horned Rhinoceros, Gaur Bisons, Common Leopards, Sloth Bears, 2 species of monkeys, 4 species of deer, 2 species of crocodiles and over 634 species of birds. We will spend overnight in a wildlife resort on full board basis.
- Days 06-07: Explore birds and other wildlife of Chitwan National Park.
We will explore mammals, birds and other wildlife of the park by taking on jeep safari, dugout canoe trip, guided jungle walk and elephant back safari. We will spend overnight in a wildlife safari resorts on full board basis.
- Day 08: Drive to Lumbini.
After having breakfast, we will drive to Lumbini. It takes 3-4 hours to reach Lumbini. After lunch, we explore potential places to look for Sarun Cranes, Common Babblers, Large-grey Babblers, Brown Rock Chats, Grey Francolins and White-eyed Buzzards. Lumbini is also the birthplace of Lord Buddha. We will spend overnight in a hotel on full board basis.
- Day 09: Explore birds of Lumbini.
We will explore various habitats of Lumbini to search different species of birds. We will spend overnight in a hotel on full board basis.
- Day 10: Drive to Bardia National Park.
After having early breakfast, we will drive to Bardia National Park. It is famous for Royal Bengal Tigers, wild Asian Elephants, Great Slaty Woodpeckers, White-naped Woodpeckers, Jungle Prinia and fresh water Gangetic Dolphins. It takes 6-7 hours to reach Bardia from Lumbini. We will spend overnight in a wildlife resort on full board basis.
- Days 11-12: Search Royal Bengal Tigers, birds and other wildlife of Bardia National Park.
For next couple of days, we will visit various habitats to search for Royal Bengal Tigers, fresh water Gangetic Dolphins, wild Asian Elephants and different species of birds. We will spend overnight in a wildlife resort on full board basis.
- Day 13: Drive to Shukla Phanta National Park.
We will drive to Shukla Phanta National Park. It takes 4-5 hours to Shukla Phanta National Park. Shukla Phanta National Park is located in the far-western part of southern Terai, close to Indian border. It is famous for Swamp Deer, Royal Bengal Tigers, Common Leopards, wild Asian Elephants and grassland birds like Jerdon’s Bushchat, Hodgson’s Bushchat, Rufous-rumped Grassbirds, Striated Grassbirds, Bristled Grassbirds, Bengal Floricans, Swamp Francolins, Yellow Weavers and Tawny-bellied Babblers. We will spend overnight in wildlife resorts on full board basis.
- Days 14-15: Explore mammals and birds of Shukla Phanta National Park.
We will visit various habitats of Shukla Phanta National Park to explore different birds and wildlife. We will spend overnight in wildlife resort on full board basis.
- Day 16: Drive to Dhangari Airport and fly to Kathmandu.
As per our flight schedule, we will drive to Dhangari Airport and fly to Kathmandu. We will spend overnight in a hotel on b/b basis.
- Day 17: Trip concludes and depart for onward journey.
Karnali Excursions will provide a vehicle for airport transfer.
Do you wish to extend your trip to include more time, additional destinations, or both? Let us know and we’ll help you plan it out.
(These trips can also be extended or modified to fit your schedule.)
To view our Trip Extension options, please take a quick look at our Trip Extensions menu.