Mountains and Mammals is a well crafted itinerary, which offers ample opportunity and time to enjoy breathtaking views of high mountains of Nepal and explore endangered species of mammals, birds and reptiles of Nepal. The trip begins with a guided sightseeing in Kathmandu Valley and ends with a visit to the famous Chitwan National Park, a safe refuge to endangered species of mammals like Royal Bengal tigers, Asian wild elephants, greater one-horned rhinoceros, slumbering crocodiles and over 600 species of birds. The itinerary also includes an exciting trek to the Everest Base Camp, a land of beautiful mountains and a half-day rafting trip on Trisuli River. This itinerary is a complete package of what Nepal is famous for.
Mountains and Mammals of Nepal
- Cultural and historical World Heritage Sites in Kathmandu
- Spectacular views of high mountains of Nepal
- Authentic Sherpa culture and lifestyle
- Thrilling rafting on Trisuli River
- Endangered species of wildlife in Chitwan National Park
Dates & Prices
Dates: Although this trip is currently unscheduled, contact us about organizing this destination for you or your group. The best months are between [May] and [September].
Prices: Contact us with your group size and needs and we’ll work out the best possible price for you.
The cost includes:
- All ground transfers including airport pickup and drops
- Hotels in Kathmandu on b/b basis
- Guided sightseeing in Kathmandu with applicable entry fees
- Kathmandu-Lukla-Kathmandu flight fares
- All necessary trekking permits
- Local lodges and all meals during the trek
- Service of experienced and highly knowledgeable Karnali tour and trek leaders
- Service of support staff during the trek
- First Aid Medical Kit
- Rafting cost
- 3-4 days wildlife safari in Chitwan National Park as mentioned in the itinerary on full board basis
- All jungle activities in Chitwan National Park with applicable entry fees
- Bharatpur-Kathmandu flight fare
The cost does not include:
- International flight tickets
- Nepal visa fee
- Extra night hotels in the event of late departure and early arrival
- Lunch and dinners in Kathmandu
- Cost of access baggage on domestic flights
- Travel and medical insurance, which must cover the cost of emergency airlift if needed
- Pure personal gear and trekking equipment
- Pure personal nature expenses, e. g. bar bills, laundry and telephone charges etc
- Guide, porter and driver tips
- Any other costs not specified in the cost includes section, but may incur due to unforeseen circumstances
- Day 01: Arrive in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel
One of Karnali’s representatives will meet at the airport and arrange immediate transfer to hotel. A detailed briefing on immediate and further arrangements will be delivered. You will spend overnight in a 3-4 star hotel on b/b basis.
- Day 02: Guided city sightseeing
Our experienced, knowledgeable and government certified tour guide will take you for a city sightseeing tour. We will visit Swayambhunath Stupa, Pashupatinath Temple, Boudhanath and Patan Durbar Square. All these sites are enlisted in the list of UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites. You will spend overnight in a 3-4 star hotel on b/b basis.
- Day 03: Fly to Lukla and trek to Phakding/Monjo
We will fly to Lukla by the earliest flight. Flight to Lukla is breathtaking as it offers spectacular mountain views. We will meet our support crew at the Lukla Airport and commence trekking to Phadking/Monjo. 3-4 hours walk, 200m descent/ascent and overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 04: Trek to Namanche Bazaar b (3440m)
After having breakfast, we will start trekking to Namche Bazaar. The trail climbs up sharply after crossing the high suspension bridge over the Imja Khola. We will see the first view of the Mount Everest and Tabuche peak from the viewpoint if weather is clear. 5-6 hours walk, 600m ascent and overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 05: A day at Namche Bazaar to rest and acclimatize
It is important to spend an extra day at Namche Bazaar to rest and acclimatize. After having breakfast, we will climb up to the Everest Viewpoint at Namche Bazaar for the magnificent views of Mount Everest, Mount Ama Dablam, Thamserku, Kwangde Peak and Kusum Kangaroo. After enjoying spectacular mountain views, we will hike to Khumjung village. We will spend overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 06: Trek to Phortse (3860m)
After having breakfast, we will commence trekking to Phortse. The trail gradually climbs up to Mong La and sharply descends down to Phortse Tanga. We will have our lunch break at Phortse Tanga. The trail gradually starts ascending as we cross the Machhermo River. 5-6 hours walk, 420m ascent. We will spend overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 07: Trek to Dingboche (4420m)
We will start our trek after having our breakfast. The trail gradually starts climbing up right from the beginning. The view of Mount Ama Dablam seems more appealing as we approach Pangboche. We will stop for the lunch at Somare and then continue to Dingboche. 5-6 hours walk, 380m ascent and overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 08: A day at Dingboche to rest and acclimatize
It is important to expend an extra day at Dingboche to give ourselves enough time to acclimatize. We will hike up to Dingboche Ri for the acclimatization purpose. We will see breathtaking view of Mount Makalu from the top of Dingboche Ri. 3-4 hours return journey. We will have leisure time after lunch. We will spend overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 09: Trek to Lobuche (4920m)
We will commence our trekking towards Lobuche after having our breakfast. The trail gradually climbs up to Thukla where we will have tea break. The trail sharply climbs up to the Thukla Pass where we will see several memorials of famous mountaineers who perished in the mountains. We will see mesmerizing view of Mount Pumori as we approach Lobuche. 3-4 hours walk, 500m ascent and we will spend overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 10: Trek to Gorak Shepp (5180m) and hike to Everest Base Camp (5365m)
After having breakfast, we will follow the trail that goes through glacial moraines. It takes 2-3 hours to reach Gorak Shepp. We will have early lunch and then we will hike to Everest Base Camp. It is 4-5 hours return journey to Everest Base Camp. 445m ascent, 185m descent and we will spend overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 11: Morning hike to Kala Pattar (5550m) and trek to Pheriche (4210m)
We will hike to Kala Pattar early in the morning. It takes 2 hours to reach the top of Kala Pattar, which offers magnificent views of Mount Everest, Nupse and other high mountains of Khumbu region. We will return to Gorak Shepp after enjoying sunrise and breathtaking mountain views of high mountains. We will trek own to Pheriche after having our breakfast. 5-6 hours walk, 970m descent and we will spend overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 12: Trek to Tengboche Monastery (3860m)
Today going to be one of the shortest days of our trek as it takes only 3-4 hours to reach Tengboche Monastery from Pheriche. The trail continuously and gently descends down all the way to the suspension bridge of Imja River and then starts climbing gradually to Tengboche Monastery. We will visit the highly revered Tengboche Monastery after lunch. We will spend overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 13: Trek to Monjo (2835m)
We will start descending down to Phungi Tanga after breakfast. The trail starts climbing up all the way to Kyangjuma and then gently descends down to Namche Bazaar. We will trek to Monjo after lunch. 5-6 hours walk, 1025m descent and we will spend overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 14: Trek to Lukla (2840m)
Today, we will trek to Lukla and spend overnight in a local lodge with all meals included.
- Day 15: Fly to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel
We will fly back to Kathmandu as per our flight schedule and then drive to hotel where we will spend overnight in a 3-4star hotel on b/b basis.
- Day 16: Rafting on Trisuli River and drive to Chitwan National Park
After having breakfast we will drive to the rafting point and commence a half day rafting on Trisuli River. After enjoying rafting, we will drive to Chitwan National Park. We will spend overnight in a wildlife resort on full board basis.
- Days 17-18: In Chitwan National Park
Chitwan is a famous for rare and endangered species of animals like greater one-horned rhinoceros, Royal Bengal tigers, sloth bears, common leopards, gaur bison, Terai grey langurs, rhesus macaques, 4 species of deer, two species of crocodiles, and over 600 different types of birds. We will do jeep safari, elephant back safari and guided jungle walk to explore various animals, birds and reptiles of the park. We will spend overnight in a wildlife resort on full board basis.
Return to Kathmandu
- Day 19: Fly to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel
We will fly to Kathmandu and drive to hotel.
- Day 20: Trip concludes and depart for onward journey
Karnali Excursions will arrange airport transfer as per your flight schedule.
Do you wish to extend your trip to include more time, additional destinations, or both? Let us know and we’ll help you plan it out.
(These trips can also be extended or modified to fit your schedule.)
To view our Trip Extension options, please take a quick look at our Trip Extensions menu.